I’ve been kicking around this idea for quite some time and when I was asked to make a little last minute treat for company, I figured this might be a good time to work on them. So, I did a little bit of research and after looking at multiple recipes I decided a little combination of three simple recipes would help me achieve more or less what I wanted. These are the three recipes I pilfered elements from: Cupcakes Take the Cake –S’mores cupcakes, Annie’s Eats –S’mores cupcakes, Culinary Couture Blog –Chocolate graham cracker cupcakes. A little idea from each went into these to make a very tasty cupcake. My only issue with these was that I didn’t try to make a frosting because it was so last minute, so I used Jet-Puffed marshmallow fluff for a jar and while it gave me the desired (more or less, anyway) flavor, it was not pretty at all. You know, this stuff:
But, like I said they were good and I didn’t hear any complaints. Forgive me for not having better pictures, but I had a lot of people in the house and all I have is a couple shots of the finished products. Sue me.
Here comes the recipe:
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups of graham crackers finely ground
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1 generous teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
For the Graham cracker crust:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of graham crackers
- 1/3 cup of butter melted
- 1/4 cup of sugar (I skipped this ingredient, it was sweet enough without it)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grind about 40 graham crackers in food processor to make 3 cups. Split into two portions of 1 and 1/2 cups each. Set one aside for crust.
3. Melt butter in microwave and add 1 and 1/2 of graham crackers (plus sugar if desired) and mix well.
4. Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into cupcake liners and tamp down with small glass.
5. Place in oven for 5 minutes. Remove, but maintain oven temperature.
6. Combine flour, ground graham crackers, cocoa powder and baking powder in one bowl. Set aside.
7. Cream butter and sugar. Add one egg and mix well, then add second and continue to mix while adding vanilla.
8. Add flour and graham cracker mixture to creamed butter, alternating with milk and continue mixing until batter has a nice consistency.
9. Spoon mixture into cupcake liners to 3/4 full. Place in oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Cover with your marshmallow frosting, small marshmallows, Jet-Puff, etc. If you have any remaining graham crackers from the crust feel free to sprinkle on top.
Again, I used Jet-Puffed marshmallow crème, which, while it gives you the marshmallow taste you want for s’mores, it doesn’t look pretty because it goes from fluff to sticky marshmallow goo in no time at all. That’s why my cupcakes look the way they do, but I didn’t have many options due to my time constraints and not knowing that the marshmallow crème would just turn into cream. See?:
The graham cracker crust gave the cupcake a great flavor as well as a little bit of texture. My only issue was that if you weren’t careful it all stayed in the liner. I found this to be easier to eat with a fork than to eat straight from the wrapper, but maybe that’s me. Who knows? But, hey if you want to try making these your own, feel free. I want to see how yours come out. Until next time.